DAKEL HOG HUNTS
DAKEL HOG HUNTS
Home of the TAKE A CHILD HUNTING PROGRAM - Hunters 16 and younger are free with paid adult
Home of the TAKE A CHILD HUNTING PROGRAM - Hunters 16 and younger are free with paid adult
DAKEL HOG RANCH IS LOCATED AT 7763 COUNTY ROAD 204, ANNAPOLIS MO. 63620 ( LESTERVILLE )
FRIEND US ON FACEBOOK
Our company is based on the belief that our customers' needs are of the utmost importance. Our entire team is committed to meeting those needs. As a result, since 2009 a high percentage of our business is from repeat customers and referrals.
2018 REVIEW FROM HOG ON THE MOUNTAIN LIST THIS AREA AS THE HOG HUNTING CAPITAL OF MISSOURI
Our Take A Child Hunting Program works since starting many hunters under 16 that most likely would not have been there if we charged for their hunt have harvested hogs . I have children myself, that have missed hunting trips due to prices and as always I promise never to charge a child ( under age 16 ) to hunt on my property. I WOULD BURN IT DOWN BEFORE I REFUSED A CHILD TO COME HUNTING
Our 2020 totals are in-
THIS YEAR 102 hogs were taken at Dakel, between hunting ans the use of a small cage trap available for hunters use during hunts. Several big hogs this year with the largest being 304 pounds. We hope everyone that hunted at Dakel enjoyed themselves. Not everyone that hunted harvested a hog , but I hope everyone enjoyed time spent out doors with family and friends. Remember take a child hunting, dont hunt for the child. Kids hunt free at Dakel hog hunts
Our 2021 totals are in -
This year 117 hogs were taken here at Dakel hog hunts. We had several bow and crossbow harvest along with firearms and a few in the trap. We are redoing a few stands this year and adding a few more in other area's, along with some food plots in new area's. I hope everyone enjoyed hunting here at Dakel this year and if you were not able to harvest a feral hog , I hope you at very least enjoyed your time spent with family and friends. We had several big hogs this year, 278 pounds was the biggest but it looked like a tank hanging. Lots of average 100 - 150 range.
Our 2022 totals are in -
This year was 133 HOGS WERE TAKEN AT Dakel Hog Hunts. We again had several crossbow harvest ( I was one of those ) along with bow and firearm harvest. There will be 3 new 8x8 \ 8x10 stands built this April opening new area for Hunters to enjoy. Biggest hog this year was 293 pounds with the average size staying in the 100 - 150 pound range. Thank you all who Hunted here at Dakel over the last year, I hope your party enjoied your time spent on the property.
NOTE- WE DO HAVE A COUPLE CHANGES FOR 2018 PLEASE LOOK OVER COMPLETE WEBSITE AND NOTE CHANGES.
1) ANY HUNTER TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE BRING A YOUTH FOR FREE PROGRAM THAT CHOOSES TO ALLOW
THE YOUTH HUNTER TO HARVEST OVER THEM WILL COUNT THAT HOG AS THEIR OWN AND NOT BE ALLOWED A HALF OFF RETURN HUNT -
2) W e will not offer a 50 % off return hunt for hunting parties that do not stay on the property - Hunters that choose to stay in hotel spend most of their time back and forth to town ( 30 min ) a few times a day, hunt a lot less then hunters staying here and very few hunt a cold night instead of sitting in a room or using the pool in the summer, we cant offer a chance to harvest a feral hog for hunters shopping antiques in town.
3) We will no longer offer a half price return hunt to any party leaving 12 hours prior to the hunts end. We have had several parties come in on Fri and leave by Saturday night or Sunday morning to get back for this or that. I understand life is busy and sometimes things cant be avoided, however if you don't take full advantage of your hunt I cant offer you a return hunt. Understandable that people leave a little early to avoid night driving or whatever, but more then 12 hours releases your return hunt.
AS STATED ABOVE NOT EVERYONE THAT HUNTED HARVESTED A FERAL HOG, HOWEVER EVERYONE WAS GIVEN THE SAME CHANCE AND HAD A GOOD TIME. HUNTING IS WHAT THE PERSON MAKES OF IT -
WE DO NOT RAISE OR RELEASE HOGS -
WE DO NOT TIE THEM TO A TREE -
YOU MUST HUNT -
YOU MUST SIT OUT AND PUT THE TIME IN -
IF YOU THINK YOU WILL GET OUT OF YOUR TRUCK, DRINK A BEER WALK TO A STAND AND SHOOT A HOG, "YOUR WRONG"
DO NOT SHOOT NEAR BARN OR CAMP SITE AREA !!!!!!!!!!
I CAN SEE SHOOTING IN THIS AREA IF A HOG IS PRESENT, HOWEVER THE CHANCES OF SITTING NEXT TO THE FIRE , DRINKING A BEER AND HAVING A HOG WALK OUT IS SLIM
- THIS IS NOT A RANGE AREA AND WE ALWAYS TAKE SAFETY FIRST -
IT SEEMS ALOT OF GUYS LIKE TO SIT AND TARGET SHOOT - THIS IS FINE AND I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT, JUST WALK UP IN FIELD OR WOODS - NOT RIGHT IN FRONT OF BARN OR CABIN AREA - AND REMEMBER THE MORE SHOTS FIRED - THE LESS YOU WILL SEE. ALSO KEEP IN MIND THE MORE YOU SHOOT AND RIDE 4 WHEELERS , THE MORE YOU WILL PUSH THE HOGS OFF PROPERTY AND LIMIT YOUR CHANCES OF A HARVEST
( THIS IS WHERE YOUR HUNT TAKES PLACE )
7763 COUNTY ROAD 204
ANNAPOLIS MO. 63620
33N RANGE 2E NORTH PART LESTERVILLE
MAKE ALL CHECKS PAYABLE TO :
( nothing else - checks can only be excepted under these two examples )
MAIL ALL PAYMENTS TO :
DAVE SOMMERHAUSER OR DAKEL
9 SKYVIEW COURT
ARNOLD MO. 63010
314-640-1857 \ 636-282-2805
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING PROGRAM-
THE TAKE A CHILD HUNTING PROGRAM STARTED IN 2010, IT IS OUR WAY OF HELPING PARENTS OR OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS GET YOUNGER CHILDREN INTO HUNTING AND OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES. WE REALIZE THESE DAYS IT IS HARD TO GET A CHILD TO DO MUCH OF ANYTHING UNLESS IT IS TV GAMES. WITH THE NO COST CHILD HUNT AND A LITTLE LUCK MAYBE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO ENJOY TIME OUTDOORS WITH YOUR CHILDREN HUNTING. HUNTERS 16 AND YOUNGER ARE ALWAYS FREE AT DAKEL ( WITH PAID ADULT ) SO WHEN YOU PLAN YOUR NEXT HUNT, THINK ABOUT TAKING THE CHILDREN WITH YOU.
EMERGENCY CONTACT INFO -
EMERGENCY - 911
SHERIFF - 1-573-546-732
ATTENTION HUNTERS -
Mountain Lion -
WE HAVE HAD SEVERAL HUNTERS REPORT MOUNTAIN LION SIGHTINGS, I HAVE YET TO SEE ONE ON PROPERTY MYSELF. HOWEVER ALWAYS KEEP WATCH WHILE HUNTING AND ENTERING AND EXITING STAND AREA'S - THERE HAVE BEEN SEVERAL CONFIRMED SIGHTINGS IN REYNOLDS COUNTY ( ONE MOUNTAIN LION WAS SEEN AND CONFIRMED RIGHT ACROSS THE ROAD FROM OUR LOCATION ) AND EVEN 1 CAUGHT IN TRAP REMEMBER MOUNTAIN LIONS AND BEARS ARE PROTECTED IN MISSOURI AND MAY NOT BE TAKEN.
We have seen and have on game camera's \ video several different Black bears over the last couple years. It seems they are becoming very active in the Valley. If your here during the spring \ summer months chances are good that you will see a black bear or two around. ( most active around feeder sites ) Although the are beautiful and fun to watch, DO NOT feed or harass these Bears. Pay special attention to your surroundings and never approach a Bear cub.
A LITTLE BIT ABOUT FERAL HOGS-
FERAL OR WILD HOGS IN MO. ARE MUTTS WITH GENETIC COMBINATIONS THAT INCLUDE RUSSIAN OR EURASIAN WILD BOARS ( RAZOR BACKS ) AN ASSORTMENT OF DOMESTIC VARIETIES SUCH AS YORKSHIRE, HAMPSHIRE OR DURAC AND YES EVEN POT BELLIED PIGS.FEMALES CAN BEGIN BREEDING IN THERE 6TH MONTH OF LIFE AND HAVE 2 LITTERS OF 10 EVERY YEAR. THIS LEVEL OF REPRODUCTION CAN DOUBLE A HOG POPULATION IN 160 DAYS. FERAL HOGS REACH OVER 400 POUNDS IN SIZE - HOWEVER MOST FERAL HOGS ARE BETWEEN 130 \ 180 POUNDS. BOARS HAVE 4 SHARP TUSK THAT GROW ABOUT 5 INCHES. HOGS CAN BE SEVERAL COLORS INCLUDING GREY, RED ,BLACK , BLOND AND SPOTTED. SOME FERAL HOGS LOOK LIKE DOMESTIC HOGS AND SOME LOOK LIKE WILD BOARS. ALL HAVE SMALL EYES, LARGE TRIANGULAR EARS AND A LONG SNOUT ENDING IN A LONG ROUND NOSE. WHEN HUNTING WITH A BOW ALWAYS HAVE A BACK UP FIREARM
( CONSERVATION ALLOWS BOW HUNTERS TO CARRY FIREARM ONLY WHILE HUNTING FERAL HOGS )
THINGS TO REMEMBER FOR YOUR HUNT INCLUDE
SPOT LIGHT - EXTRA FIREARM - AMMO -COVER SCENT - COVER SCENT - COVER SCENT - TRASH BAGS - COOLERS - MEAT PAPER - ZIP LOCK BAGS - FLASH LIGHTS ( SEVERAL )- CAMERA-PERSONAL ITEMS -
BUT MOST OF ALL COVER SCENT - COVER SCENT - COVER SCENT
NOTE- THESE ARE WILD FERAL HOGS IN OUR AREA - WE DO NOT RELEASE OR RAISE HOGS TO HUNT
HUNTING WILD BOAR IN MISSOURI
NO TAG REQUIRED
( EXCEPT DURING FIREARM DEER / TURKEY SEASON )
LIMIT - NO LIMIT
LEGAL METHOD OF HARVEST - ANY
DOGS - YES
NIGHT HUNTING - YES, ON PRIVATE PROPERTY
BAIT - YES , ON PRIVATE PROPERTY
TRAPPING - YES , ON PRIVATE PROPERTY
MISSOURI ENCOURAGES HUNTERS TO TAKE FERAL HOGS AT ANYTIME WHILE HUNTING OTHER GAME. YOU MAY USE ANY FIREARM OR WEAPON YOU CHOOSE WHILE HUNTING FERAL HOGS. IF YOU CARRY A BACKUP FIREARM, DO NOT CARRY IT CONCEALED- WEAR IT IN A FASHION THAT MAKES IT EASILY ACCESSIBLE. SINCE FERAL HOGS ARE NOT NATIVE TO MISSOURI THEY ARE NOT PROTECTED OR REGULATED UNDER WILDLIFE CODE OF MISSOURI, THEREFORE NO PERMIT IS REQUIRED TO HUNT THEM.
HOG HUNTING TIPS-
1) WHEN STAND HUNTING- APPROACH YOUR STAND FROM A DIFFERENT DIRECTION THEN YOU EXPECT THE HOGS TO APPROACH FROM. REMEMBER HOGS EYESIGHT ISN'T GREAT BUT THEY HAVE A SUPER SENSE OF SMELL.
2) BAITING HOGS WERE LEGAL IS A EXCELLENT WAY TO GET HOGS INTO BOW RANGE ( HOWEVER ALWAYS CARRY BACK UP FIREARM)
3) PLAN TO CHANGE STANDS IF YOU SHOOT AT OR MISS A HOG - MOST LIKELY THAT HOG OR THAT GROUP OF HOGS WILL NOT COME BACK INTO VIEW OF THAT STAND
4) HOGS HAVE A SORT OF SHIELD AROUND THE VITALS - THE BEST SHOT JUST LIKE WITH DEER IS A QUARTERING AWAY SHOT.
5) HOGS WILL TRAVEL ANYWHERE- BUT GENERALLY PREFER TO BED AND TRAVEL CLOSE TO WATER AND IN " THICK " COVER
6) HUNT WITH RIFLE \ HIDE IN SAFE BOX BLIND \ USE PHEROMONES \ IF YOU SEE A PIGLET ALONE, USE CAUTION MOTHER WONT BE FAR AWAY
7) THE MOST IMPORTANT IS ACTUAL STAND TIME - DURING THE SUMMER MONTHS THE WOODS ARE VERY THICK AND MOST HUNTERS HUNT FIELD FEEDER SITES, NIGHT ACTION IS THE BEST ( FROM ABOUT 9:00 PM TILL 7:00 AM ) MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY TO SIT FOR HOURS IN THE DARK - OFF ( BUG SPRAY ) GOOD COVER SENT - FOOD ATTRACTANT - LIGHT ( BACK UP LIGHT ) - WHATEVER WILL KEEP YOU THERE.
I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH, DURING HOT TIMES OF THE YEAR HOGS ARE MOSTLY ACTIVE DURING LATE PM AND EARLY AM HOURS - THIS MEANS YOU WILL NEED TO BE IN STANDS DURING NIGHT TIME HOURS AND TRY TO AVOID HIGH ACTIVITY DURING THE DAY AROUND YOUR HUNTING SIGHT.
CAMP FIRES -
WE DO ALLOW CAMP FIRES, WE ASK THAT YOU ONLY BUILD A FIRE IN FIRE PIT AREA NEAR TRAILER CAMPING AREA. WE ALSO ASK YOU DO NOT BURN THE WHOLE PILE OF STACKED FIRE WOOD ( MOST HUNTING PARTIES ARE VERY GOOD ABOUT THIS - SOME HOWEVER THINK A 20 FOOT LONG 6 FOOT HIGH PILE OF CUT , SPLIT WOOD IS A LITTLE - AND WONDER WHY AFTER SITTING BY A HUGE FIRE FOR 60 HOURS THEY ARE NOT SEEING ANY HOGS - REMEMBER COVER SCENT - COVER SCENT - COVER SCENT - NOT SMOKE SCENTED )